IPS in the media
Timetable Journey into Lebanon in 2003
February 1st, Saturday:
- Arrive into Beirut very early morning.
- Morning: discussion with Robert Fisk.
- Afternoon: Beirut city and a visit to the American University Beirut
- Morning: Mr Al-Amine, former Minister of Labour, MP and former S.G. of the Baath party of Syria in Tibnin.
- Afternoon: Boys orphanage in Tibnin + girls orphanage (which used to be aided by IrishBat [UNIFIL] from Camp Shamrock).
- Evening: Abass Awala, UNIFIL interpreter and Operations Officer to UNIFIL + hospitality of his family
- Morning: Walit Jumblatt, leader of the Druze and chairman of the Progressive Socialist Party in his palace in Mouktara.
- Afternoon: Mountains + visit Beit Eddine
- Morning: Meeting with Salim Hoss, former Prime Minister of Lebanon
- Afternoon: Lecture by Victoria Firmo-Fontan.
- Evening: Discussion evening with Ibrahim Musawi, foreign news editor Manar TV and PhD student (topic: "Democracy in the Arab World").
- Morning: visit to the Palestinian Refugee camp Shatila with guide Hala Kilani form the Daily Star newspaper.
- Early Afternoon: Meeting with Sheikh Hassan Ezzeddin, Head of the Press Office and member of the Politburo of Hizbollah.
- Late Afternoon: Interview with Naifi Krajam, director of Al-Manar TV
- Evening: subject to change
- Morning: to Jbel/Byblos, visit to the Lebanese American University, section urban planning, with Rachid Chamoun.
- Late Afternoon: Meeting with Nadim Shehadi, Director of the Centre of Lebanese Studies of st. Anthony's College in Oxford.
- Morning: Visit to the Jihad Al Binaa agricultural centre and a meeting with the principal agricultural engineer Mr. M. Khansa, and to Baalbeck.
- Early afternoon: Meeting with a Hizbollah MP.
- Late Afternoon: Interview with Chibli Mallat, the human rights lawyer who's preparing a case against Ariel Sharon.
- Evening: interviewed by Al-Manar TV.
- Morning: visit to Qana Memorial and travelling to the UNIFIL headquarters in Naqourra, where we will be meeting UN spokesperson Timur Goksel and Force Commander Lalit Tewali, among others.
- Afternoon: visit to Mousa Al-Sadr Foundation, invited by Press Officer Louey Sharafiddyne.
- Visit to Khiam Detention Centre and Sheba farms (controlled by Israeli forces). Guide was Ahmed Dakwar.
- Tripoli and Kfaifeni, visiting Offre Joie (an NGO that specialises in love, respect, forgiveness) members, like Philipe Fernier.
- Return to Shannon, Ireland.
Participants are required to:
- Read Pity the Nation by Robert Fisk, available in the UL Bookshop from late November
- Engage in active fundraising for the Tebnine Orphanage and the Toulin Literacy Project
- Keep a journal relating their experience, to be published in an edited book subsequently to the journey