Current Teaching at UCT (2019)
- Ontology Engineering. MSc in CS Honours course, 2019-present. (roughly block I and II of this textbook).
- Social Issues and Professional Practice [Ethics] (part of CSC1016S; 1st year CS course), semester 2, 2016-present. HTML version of the 2016 SIPP background reader
- Social Issues and Professional Practice (Ethics) (CSC5014Z), MSc in IT conversion masters, 2018-present.
- Compilers I (CSC4021Z), 4th year BSc in CS honours module, 2019-present.
- Research methods (part of CSC4019Z), 4th year BSc in CS honours module, 2019-present.
- Current postgraduate students:
- CS Honours projects 2019:
TBA for 2019
- Convenor: CSC1010H and CSC1011H (EDP programme), in 2019
Graduated postgraduate students
- MSc (by research)/M. IT (mini-dissertation):
- Cameron Kyle (M. IT; 2017-2018)
- Zola Mahlaza (MSc CS; 2016-2018)
- Tresor Mvumbi (MSc CS; 2014-2016)
- Tamindran Shunmugam (M. IT; 2014-2016)
- Nasubo Ongoma (MSc CS; 2013-2014; cum laude)
- Zubeida Khan (MSc CS; 2012-2013, cum laude)
- BSc CS (Honours) projects:
- 2016: Toward Test-driven development of ontologies: Kieren Davies, Ameerah Allie
- VerbOWL: verbalising OWL ontologies in Afrikaans: Lauren Sanby, Ion Todd
- An isiZulu spellchecker: Victor Kabine, with Balone Ndaba (co-supervisor; currently a MSc student at UCT)
- TravelSearch: faceted search for travel destinations: Dylan Henderson, Luqmaan Salie, Ngonidzashe Choga (currently a MSc student at UCT)
- 2014: Protected areas database: Alex Hall, Matthew Welham
- 2013: Asive Dlaba, Siyabonga Madlala
- 2011: Zubeida Khan (with distinction); graduated with a MSc cum laude from UKZN in the meantime
- 2009: Giorgio Stefanoni; graduated with an EMCL MSC and then a PhD from Oxford in the meantime
- Ontology Engineering. 10 credits, BSc in CS Honours course, 2014-2017. (roughly block I and II of this textbook).
- Networks (part of CSC3002F, 3rd year BSc in CS core module; Masters in IT), semester 1, 2014-2017.
- Ontologies and Knowledge Bases (COMP720; used to be COMP718 in 2011 and 2012). 16 credits BSc in CS Honours (4th year) course, 2011, 2012, semester 1; 2013 semester 2; Lecturer, including course development. 10-15 students.
- Database Systems (COMP306), 16 credits, 3rd year BSc in CS module, UKZN, 2012, 2013, semester 1; Lecturer, including course development. 25-35 students
- Computing for Natural Scientists (COMP106), 16 credits, semester 2, UKZN 2013; Lecturer. 200 students
- Theory of Computation (COMP314). 16 credits 3rd year undergraduate core module, UKZN, 2nd semester 2011, 2012; Lecturer, including course development. about 70 students
- Semantic Web Technologies (2009/2010, MSc-level, 4 ECTS; course code 72010, part of the European Masters in Computational Logic), Lecturer. Course websites with the details of the lectures: the first part by Jos de Bruijn and second part by me.
- Logic (2007/2008, BSc-level, 4 ECTS; course code 70014, BSc-level); Teaching Assistant; setting labs and midterm. Exercises and supplementary material.
- Convenor: 1st-year course convenor (CSC1015F, CSC1016S), 2015-2017; CSC1017F in 2015.
Tutorials and short courses
- Semantics and conceptual modelling. International School on Applied Ontology (ISAO'18), Cape Town, 10-15 September, 2018.
- NLP for African (Nguni) languages. Guest lecture 3rd year BSc in CS NLP course, Poznan University of Technology, Poznan, Poland, 10 April 2018.
- Foundations and recent trends on ontology engineering. Course at the Erasmus Mundus Master's Programme in Information Technologies for Business Intelligence (IT4BI)/Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree Programme in Big Data Management and Analytics (BDMA). Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain. 2017. 1 ECTS. slides: Foundations and Recent trends(selected methods)
- Research statistics (part of the Research methods course for postgraduate students), August 2015, 2016, 2017 (2 x 5.5h), UCT.
- Representing and reasoning over relationships in ontologies. Forum on AI Research 2014 (FAIR'14), Stellenbosch, South Africa, 3-5 December, 2014. tutorial
- Introduction to ontology engineering, with emphasis on Semantic Web Technologies as part of the Masters Ontology Winter School 2010, 16-30 July, Meraka Institute, South Africa; Lecturer; includes course development and teaching (15+7 hours lectures and labs).
- Top-down Ontology Development. Guest Lecture of the Ontology and Knowledge Based Systems fourth year (honours) course, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, d.d. 17-18 August 2010.
- Introduction to Ontology Engineering: Foundations and applications, 5-15 July 2010, Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas, Cuba; Lecturer; includes course development and teaching (20+10 hours lectures and labs).
- Comprehensive introduction to ontology engineering, 5-16 April 2010, MSc-level,30 hours, Universidad de la Habana, Cuba; Lecturer; includes course development, teaching, and labs.
- Representing and reasoning over a taxonomy of part-whole relations. Mini Ontology Winter School (MOWS 2008), Knowledge System Group, Meraka Institute, 1-11 July 2008, Pretoria, South Africa. A shorter version was presented at the University of South Africa, Pretoria, on August 6, 2008.
- Semantic Web for the Life Sciences. Guest lecture d.d. 23-5-2007 as part of the course 'Semantic Web Technologies' (course code: 70175, MSc-level), Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy.
- Introduction to part-whole relations: mereology, conceptual modelling and mathematical aspects. Tutorial given on 23-10-2006 at the KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy.
- ORM introduction. Seminar given on 27-4-2004 at the Laboratory of Applied Ontology, Trento, and Free University Bolzano/Bozen, Italy.
- Students' theses supervision at all levels
- BSc & MSc exam commission membership (at UKZN, FUB, and EPFL/LBD)