Dr. C. Maria Keet
Department of Computer Science
University of Cape Town
Tel: (+27) 021 650 2667
Fax: (+27) 021 650 3551
Blog: keet blog
email: mkeet at cs.uct.ac.za
CV, publications, and my Google Scholar profile
1. Research interests, and projects
2. Seminars and presentations
3. Organisational activities, reviewing etc
1a. Research Interests
- Logic-based knowledge representation,
- Conceptual modelling & ontology languages (Description Logics (& OWL), Object-Role Modeling, etc.)
- Relations in (bio-)ontologies, such as parthood and other part-whole relations
- Ontology Engineering
- Biological data characteristics
1b. Research Activities
The main thread across my research activities is ontology, ontologies, logic, and conceptual data modelling. They are divided into three paragraphs for presentation convenience, and a final paragraph on participation in funded projects.
See als the KnowledgE ENgineering (KEEN) Team webpage
Ontology engineering and logic-based (bio-)ontologies
In this strand of investigation, I consider automated reasoning for formal (FOL, DL and OWL-ized) bio-ontologies, formal properties of relations (e.g., parthood), ontology engineering, foundational ontologies, modularity. Earlier work also involved Ontology-Based Data Access and bio-ontologies, including particpation in funded projects (among others, ARISTOTELES, TONES, Net2).
Formal and ontology-driven conceptual data modeling
This strand of research combines the logic and modelling from ontologies with conceptual data modelling (in, e.g., ER, ORM). This includes logic-based reconstructions (mainly in Description Logics) of the diagram languages, model linking and integration, and various extensions, such as formal temporal conceptual data modelling. Some related funded projects were the Ontology-driven unification of conceptual data modelling languages and an earlier projects on "Technologies for Conceptual Modelling and Intelligent Query Formulation".
Controlled Natural Languages
This strand of research extends from the ontology engineering, by focussing first on controlled (a particualr fragment of) natural languages and natural language generation for knowledge-to-text, and for Bantu languages in particular. I am PI of two funded projects in this area, being a A Grammar engine for Nguni natural language interfaces (GeNi) and a UCT Science Faculty grant on foundations thereof, and an earlier project looked at terminology harvesting in COMMUTERM.
The development of a formal theory of granularity (TOG), my PhD thesis topic, covers subtopics such as mereology, indistinguishability, types of granularity, abstraction and expansion, rough sets, and formal ontology.
Participation in funded projects
- Co-Investigator (named) of the project entitled Medical Machine Translation, in collaboration with the University of Edinburgh, UK. Funded by the EPSRC, UK.
Project duration: 2017-2018 (7 months).
- Principal Investigator of the project entitled A Grammar engine for Nguni natural language interfaces (GeNi), funded by the NRF under the Competitive Programme for Rated Researchers (CPRR) -- Y-rated development grant.
Project duration: 2015-2017.
- Principal Investigator of the project entitled Foundations for Nguni natural language generation systems, UCT Science Faculty Launching Grant.
Project duration: 2014-2017 (3 years).
- External collaborator in the project ARISTOTELES: Methodology and algorithms for automatic revision of ontologies in task based scenarios, funded by the Polish National Science Center under the SONATA program, with PI Dr. Agnieszka Lawrynowicz, Poznan University of Technology, Poland.
Project duration: 2015-2018 (3 years).
- Project leader of the 'Teaching with Technology' Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT)-funded project entitled LetsThink - GoAnswer, on the development of a software-based audience response system.
Project duration: 2015 (1 year).
- Project leader of the 'Open Educational Resources' Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT)-funded project on the development of a Semantic Wiki for ontology engineering.
Project duration: 2015 (1 year).
- Principal Investigator of the project entitled COMMUTERM: Self-sustaining community-driven online terminology development, funded by the University of KwaZulu-Natal's University Language Board. The aim of the project is to crowdsource an isiZulu terminology for computer science and one other discipline.
Project duration: 2013-2014 (1 year).
- Principal Investigator of the project entitled Ontology-driven unification of conceptual data modelling languages of the bi-lateral "South Africa / Argentina Joint Science and Technology Research" funded by SA's Department of Science and Technology and Argentina's MINCyT, with as co-PI in Argentina Pablo Fillottrani, Universidad Nacional del Sur, Bahía Blanca, Argentina.
Project duration: 2012-2015 (3 years).
- Participation (external expert, as ontologist) in the EU PF7 collaborative project e-LICO: An e-Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Collaborative Research in Data Mining and Data-Intensive Science.
Project duration: 2009-2012.
- Participation (researcher) in the Marie Curie action funded by the EC under ICT Call 3 FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IRSES on a Network for Enabling Networked Knowledge (NET2).
Project duration: 2010-2012.
- Participation (researcher) in the Italy-South Africa collaboration project Technologies for Conceptual Modelling and Intelligent Query Formulation, within the Executive Programme of Scientific and Technological Co-Operation between the Italian Republic and Republic of South Africa.
Project duration: 2008-2010.
- Participation (tester and report writing) in the EU FP6 FET TONES Project (nr FP6-7603) concerning Ontology-Based Data Access for databases in the subject domain of people with disabilities and of horizontal gene transfer.
Project duration: 2006-2008.
- Uhlamvu: Development of a termbank tailored to specific linguistic aspects of isiZulu, initiated by the UKZN University Language Planning Office (ULPDO). In collaboration with the ULPDO, Nasubo Ongoma (MSc student at UKZN), and Sibonelo Dlamini (CS honours student at UKZN).
Project duration: Dec. 2013-present
- Initiator and participation (coordination and research) in the project for in silico hypothesis testing with the database about horizontal gene transfer (HGT-DB). Main KRDB people involved are Prof. Werner Nutt, Mariano Rodriguez-Muro, and Giorgio Stefanoni and domain experts Prof. Santiago Garcia-Vallve ("Rovira i Virgilli" University, Tarragona, Spain) and Dr. Mark van Passel (Wageningen University and Research, the Netherlands).
Project duration: 2006-2011.
2. Seminars and Presentations
- Toward interoperability with DLs for evidence-based conceptual modeling language profiles. KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, 28 October, 2015.
- Advantages of a PhD from UniBz in starting an academic career. Research career planning and international cooperation, at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, October 27, 2015.
- On the unification of conceptual data modelling languages. Seminar at the Department of Computer Science, Poznan University of Technology, Poland, 16 June 2015.
- An ontology-driven unifying metamodel for UML class diagrams, EER, and ORM2. Dagstuhl seminar 13211 'Reasoning on conceptual schemas', 20-24 May 2013.
- Semantic Computing with the WONDER System: Implementation, Challenges and Opportunities for Curriculum Development. School of Computing, University of South Africa, South Africa, 8 September 2010.
- Engineering rough ontologies. School of Computing, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 26 August 2010.
- Temporal Constraints on Part-Whole Relations. Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas, La Habana, Cuba, 20 April 2010.
- Desarrollo de ontologías como un nivel de abstracción de las bases de datos relacionales. Department of Computation, Universidad de la Habana, Cuba, 19 April 2010.
- Logic-based ontologies of environments. Locating Biology, Dagstuhl Workshop, February 2010.
- Representing and Reasoning over a Taxonomy of Part-Whole Relations. 10 September 2009, DERI Galway, Ireland.
- Specifying and coordinating abstractions by taking advantage of granularity. Complex Systems & Artificial Intelligence Research Centre, DISCo, University of Milano-Bicocca, 28 April 2009, Milan, Italy.
- Games tegen terrorisme en voor conflict-oplossing--Speltheoretische onderhandelingen met coalities van gekwetste groepen en de regering. Gaming for War or Peace: ICT voor Wereldvrede Symposium, Stichting Vredescentrum Eindhoven (Peace Center Eindhoven), 4 November 2008, Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- A formal Comparison of conceptual data modeling languages--a prelude to intelligent CASE tools. Knowledge Systems Group, Meraka Institute, CSIR, Pretoria, South Africa, July 17 2008.
- A theory of granularity. Agromatica, Instituto de Ciencia Animal, 21 May 2008, San Jose de las Lajas, Habana, Cuba.
- On modelling and formally representing granularity. Fondazione Bruno Kessler (ITC-IRST), 3 December 2007, Trento, Italy.
- Europeanization of education. International Workshop on the Impact of EU Education Policy and Educational System Reforms on Youth and Society, 29/30 March 2006, Brussels, Belgium. keynote speech
- Using bio-ontologies in RDBMSs for querying granular information. Bioinformatics, Ontologies and databases Seminar day, 13 February 2006, LBD, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland. extended abstract
- Data and ontology integration issues in the biosciences. Seminar given on 23-8-2004 at the Micro-Array Department, Integrative Bioinformatics Unit, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Test-Driven Development of ontologies. Computer Science Department, University of Cape Town, South Africa, May 26, 2016.
- Toward isiZulu Natural Language Generation. Computer Science Department, University of Cape Town, South Africa, June 12, 2014.
- Toward an ontology-driven unifying metamodel for UML class diagrams, EER, and ORM2. Presentation given at the Ontology and Conceptual Modelling Workshop, Tshwane (Pretoria), South Africa, d.d. 15-16 Nov, 2012.
- Ontology-driven formal conceptual data modelling for biological data analysis. Presentation given at the Research Session of the Masters Artificial Intelligence spring School 2011 (MAIS'11), Durban, South Africa, d.d. 27 Sept., 2011.
- Ontology engineering with rough concepts and vague instances. KRDB Lunch Seminar, 15 June 2010.
- Comparing and unifying industry-grade conceptual data modelling languages. KRDB Lunch Seminar, 2 December 2008.
- Some logical and ontological aspects of part-whole relations. KRDB Lunch Seminar 19 February 2008.
- Current characteristics and historical perspective on 'CS and IT with/for Biology'. Presentation given on 20 October 2005 at the KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy. An introductory overview for the thematical Seminar Series CS and IT with/for Biology.
- Factors affecting ontology development in ecology. Presentation given on 1 July 2005 at the KRDB Research Centre, Free university of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy.
- Ontologising Bioscience: a niche. Presentation given on 1 July 2004 at the Laboratory of Applied Ontology, Trento, Italy.
- Development of ontologies for the sciences. ISTC-CNR Laboratory for Applied Ontology, Trento, Italy, 10 March 2004.
- Talks of accepted papers at conferences and workshops: Interjoven04, MIE05, DILS05, ORM05, KWEPSY06, WSPI06, GrC06, ORM06, OWLED07, SeS07, AI*IA07, DL07, GrC07, DL08, WORM08, EMMSAD08, KR08, OWLED08, Geomatics09, RST09, GrC09, MTSR09, ORM09, AI*IA09, DL10, EKAW10, ORM10, ESWC11, AFRICON11, SAICSIT11, ESWC12, EKAW12, SAARMSTE13, KCAP13, KEOD13, ER13, CNL14, RuleML14, OWLED14, EKAW14, SAARMSTE15, ADBIS15, SAICSIT15, ER15, DL16, ESWC16, CNL16, ADBIS16, INLG16, WebNLG16, EKAW16, ESWC17, LDK17, CREOL17, FOUST-II17.
- Conference/Workshop Chair
- Local Chair 10th International Conference on Formal Ontologies in Information Systems (FOIS 2018), Cape Town.
- PC Chair (with Zena Wood) of the 3rd International School on Applied Ontology, June 27 - July 2, 2016, Bolzano, Italy.
- Chair (with Diego Calvanese, Alfredo Cuzzocrea) of the 2nd Workshop on Logics and Reasoning for Conceptual Models. April 21, 2016, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Local Chair of the Forum for Artificial Intelligence Research 2015 (FAIR'15). March 30 - April 2, 2015, Cape Town, South Africa.
- PC Co-Chair (with Valentina Tamma) of the 11th OWL: Experiences and Directions workshop (OWLED'14), 17-18 October, 2014, Riva del Garda, Italy
- Track Chair (with Jerome Euzenat) on "Ontologies, Metadata, and Vocabularies" of the Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC'14), Crete, Greece, May 2014.
- PC co-Chair of the "First international Workshop on Logics and Reasoning for Conceptual Models" (LRCM'13), December 14, 2013, co-located with LPAR-19.
- Organisation of the Masters Artificial Intelligence spring School 2011 (MAIS'11), Durban, South Africa, 26-30 Sept. 2011.
- Program Committee co-Chair of the KRDB PhD Workshop, 11 May 2007, KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano.
- Program Committee member of:
- International Semantic Web Conference ISWC'14, ISWC'15, ISWC'17
- Australasian Conference on AI (AI'13, AI'17)
- 9th International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems, FOIS'16
- International Workshop on Description Logics DL'15, DL'16
- Extended Semantic Web Conference ESWC'12, ESWC'15, ESWC'16
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI'15
- 12th OWL: Experiences and Directions workshop, OWLED'15
- Formal Ontologies for Artificial Intelligence FOFAI'15
- Argentine Symposium on Ontologies and their Applications SAOA'15
- SAICSIT 2015
- International Workshop on Debugging Ontologies and Ontology Mappings WoDOOM'13, WoDOOM'14, WoDOOM'15;
- 19th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management EKAW'14
- International Conference on Biomedical Ontology ICBO'11, ICBO'12; ICBO'13; ICBO'14;
- First Workshop on Logics for Reasoning about Preferences, Uncertainty, and Vagueness PRUV'14;
- Joint Rough Set Symposium JRS'13;
- 27th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AI and the Web track AAAI'13;
- Second International Workshop on Uncertainty in Description Logics UniDL'12;
- 6th International Conference on Rough Sets and Knowledge Technology RSKT'11;
- 6th IEEE International Conference on Granular Computing GrC'11, GrC'12;
- 5th International Workshop on Modular Ontologies WoMO'11;
- Metadata & Semantics Research Conference, Special Track on Agriculture, Food & the Environment MTSR'10, MTSR'12, MTSR'13;
- International Workshop on Fact-Oriented Modeling ORM'10;
- Australasian Ontology Workshop AOW'09, AOW'10, AOW'11; AOW'12;
- International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontology Development KEOD'09, KEOD'10;
- Semantic Web Applications and Tools for the Life Sciences SWAT4LS'08, SWAT4LS'09, SWAT4LS'10, SWAT4LS'11;
- Knowledge Representation Ontology Workshop KROW'08;
- Int. Workshop Semantic Web for Health Care and Life Sciences Workshop 2008;
- Int. Workshop Network Tools and Applications in Biology 2007 NETTAB'07;
- Int. Workshop on Engineering Semantic Agent Systems ESAS'06, ESAS'07, ESAS'08, ESAS'09;
- Reviewing for journals:
- Applied Ontology;
- BMC Bioinformatics;
- Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience;
- Data & Knowledge Engineering;
- Environmental Modelling & Software;
- Fundamenta Informaticae;
- IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems;
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering;
- Information Research
- Information Sciences;
- Int. J. of Approximate Reasoning;
- International Studies in the Philosophy of Science;
- Journal on Data Semantics;
- Journal Of Biomedical Semantics;
- Knowledge Management Research & Practice;
- Language Resources and Evaluation;
- Methods in Ecology & Evolution
- Semantic Web Journal
- South African Computer Journal
- Delegated reviewing: J. Artifical Intelligence in Medicine and conferences (ODBASE'05, CBMS'06, ODBASE'06, ESWC'07, ESWC'08, JELIA'08, ESWC'09, IJCAI'09, KR'10), and workshops (ESSLLI'09 student session, DL'08, ECDM'08), external reviewer REWERSE deliverable.
- Coordinator KRDB Seminars. Oct. '07 - March '10.
- Organiser CS and IT with/for Biology, Seminar Series at the KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano. Oct-Dec 2005. (co-oragnised with Enrico Franconi)
- Co-organiser KRDB Seminar Series 2006, KRDB Research Centre, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano. (main organiser Rosella Gennari)
- Competitions portfolio in the CS department at UCT; mainly, IT Challence, ACM ICPC (Feb. 2014-present)
- Member of the School's Higher Degrees and Research Committee, UKZN (March 2012-Dec. 2013)
- Library Liaison for the School of Computer Science, UKZN (June 2011-March 2012)
- PhD students representative Computer Science Faculty at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy (Nov. '06 - Dec. '07); see also the FUB CS PhD students website.
- Student representative (as member of the PSF student party) in the Faculty-cum-University Council, Wageningen University and Research Centre, the Netherlands (Sept. '94 - Sept. '95)
Information about teaching has been moved here.
Information on earlier education
This has been moved to a separte page, here, and contains summaries of, and links to, the PhD, MSc, MA, and BSc(hons) theses and papers resulting from them.
In case you are wondering about the difference in given name that appears in publications, C. Maria, and my 'regular' name, Marijke: this is due to some odd naming conventions in the country I grew up (the Netherlands); Marijke is derived from Maria. I use my official name for scientific publications, and (used to use) the other one for other activities.